Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Culturally Relevant Marketing

So I spent the Easter long weekend in Fort McMurray. I lived there for 9 years prior to moving to Central Alberta. Every time I go back to visit there is always something different. The last time I went I noticed TONS of new landscaping all over the city and new benches and garbage bins. That was a huge improvement to the look of the city.

This time I noticed the most ingenious marketing on one of the local radio stations. It was so clever I have thought about it for a few days and decided it needed to be shared. Here are a few of the lines I heard on the radio

1. Fort McMurray, the city of half a million dollar trailers ... your listening to todays best music Mix 103.7

2. Fort McMurray, a city with more sleds and quads than people...

3. If you are in your vehicle chances are you are waiting for a coffee or a car wash ... keeping you company Mix 103.7

Unless you have lived or visited Fort McMurray these may not seem clever. However, I find it interesting how an isolated community has faced challenges and can poke fun and embrace those challenges and still wake up every morning smiling.

Here's to all those Fort McMurrayites who wake up every morning and embrace challenges with a smiling face :)

No comments:

Post a Comment