Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Who are you in a 1 liner?

There seems to be quite a few single people in my life all looking for their "special someone". Almost weekly I hear the words "Do you have any single friends?". This week I was asked for the first time to critique someones online dating profile. They asked me to provide feedback on their 1 liner to introduce themselves. I couldn't help but be just a little grateful that I am not "single and looking" as so many of my friends and family are.

I decided to enlist the help of my coworkers to come up with a good one liner. Although we are all in stable relationships, the focus quickly turned to what OUR one liners would be. Mine was "Gently Assertive, Slightly Dramatic and knows what she wants" What does that say to the dating world? We jokingly named our boss the "fiery red head with an iron fist" That was a good laugh. We spent a good 15 minutes joking about our online desirability based on one line.

Back to the friend and the profile..... The choice of website being used was not the best for an "urban professional who has the respect of a whole community" however I was told that is where the majority of people are. The website is a glorified online meat market but has the most singles for smaller cities.

Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but is this what it has come to? Meeting someone, talking to them for several weeks or months before having a face to face dinner? I guess I'm out of the loop. I've been with the same guy for over a decade. We met at summer camp as teenagers and had to write letters and make phone calls (before the days of unlimited long distance plans) . There was no text messaging or email or facebook (how did I ever survive?) but we got to know each other and after a few years got married and the rest was history. Do we txt and facebook now? All the time.. gotta keep up with romance somehow.

I have all the empathy in the world for the singles in my life.... better them than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment