Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Debit Card Security

I came home from work yesterday and there was a voicemail from my banks security department urging me to call them immediately.
After calling in I was informed by a digital voice that my card had been used at a location that is currently being investigated for skimming and card duplication. I was then required to go to my local branch for a new card.



Upon arriving at the branch, I asked the teller what business in town was suspected and was told "I don't know. None of us do. Unless the police get involved nobody will ever know."


Might I say that this really bothered me. I use chip and pin technology. These "new security measures" are supposed to prevent this from happening and I am standing at a branch location having to be issued a new card and now have to (after 12 years) choose a new pin.


Besides the inconvenience of the whole ordeal, the most disturbing thing is that the business in question benefits from complete privacy and is still allowed to open it's doors every day and breach the trust of it's customers.



WHAT IF.... businesses that were being investigated or charged were publicized and held accountable. In a day and age of FOIP and privacy, where is the line that says we have taken it too far??



In the name of privacy we have eliminated accountability and integrity in business dealings in this capacity. I am all for protecting a persons personal identity (especially online) however I feel that individuals should loose that right if they are participating in theft, bullying or trying to remain anonymous while exercising "freedom of speech" because they are too cowardly to receive the backlash of their "freedom of speech".



What do I do now? Well...... I guess I will start memorizing my new pin.

1 comment:

  1. A few thoughts: Totally agree with principle of losing rights of privacy after being convicted of a crime. Key word is convicted.
    This may be an individual committing a crime using a business' assets without their knowledge. Publishing the business name would do unnecessary damage to a local shop.
    Would you consider listing the businesses you've used your card at? We don't have to stop shopping there we should just be careful about our payment methods.

    ReplyDelete