Friday, September 17, 2010

Bring the 80's back

Another interesting day it has been. I got a call from my daughter this morning who was completely frantic. Someone in her middle school created a Facebook account using her name and sent out a bunch of messages to her friends telling them to meet her at her locker. She showed up to school with all her friends around her locker wondering what she wanted.


This would be fine and dandy but she does not have a Facebook account. Now I know your first though might be that "maybe she has an account and you do not know about it" .. well that is not the case in this situation. On a side note, I learned this morning that by law you need to be at least 13 to have a Facebook account. My daughter is 11 and almost the only person in her circle of friends that does not have a Facebook profile.



While dealing with this situation this morning I was listening to CBC radio with Jian Ghomeshi speaking with a lady about marketing to children. So the Facebook situation and the CBC radio show collided and I am at my computer "telling you how I really feel".



I am a kid of the 80's. We played outside every day. We had to walk to school. There were no cell phones, Internet.... as far as video games were concerned we had a sega that we played once in a blue moon. We had to eat healthy meals and got a spank if we talked back to our parents. We were not over weight and could occupy ourselves for hours with very little.

Fast forward to today. Where is this generations parents? Did you know you that you have kids? Do you know what they look at online? Why do they dictate what you buy and what you do?


We as a society have created a "monster" generation of kids that feel entitled to everything that we as adults have worked so hard for. Kids have no consequences to their actions anymore. Parents make excuses for and defend their children to avoid getting in trouble.We stand back and are baffled when our "adult" children are still living at home with maybe a job...or not.

My kids do not have cell phones. (and won't unless they can pay for them). They do not have free reign in my home. TV and computers are for the weekends only unless it involves homework. We have just gotten given to us an original xbox that my brother was going to throw away and the kids can play that.... but on the weekends only. My kids are NOT overweight. We teach them everyday the importance of face to face relationships and communication. (not through emails or texting) We keep the kids active but not so busy that they don't have time to think about their future and we are actively involved in every aspect of their lives.


Talks about sex, drug, dating and the like are regular topics at our house. ("Awkward converation mom..") Our kids share with us the "nothing" stuff about their day and when the "something" comes up.... they know we are right there to give solid advice and support.

I need to give (it is my JOB to give) my kids the tools that they need to be successful independent adults. That won't happen if I do not engage in conversation with them, give them everything they ask for, and do everything for them. Sure it's an up hill battle (what kids actually "wants" to clean their room and do chores). As my mother said to me back in the day "You'll thank me for this someday" I am now saying to my mom "Thank You".

I'm not anti media. I in fact am a self proclaimed social media junky. I love facebook and twitter and I see the value in it everyday. But it's about balance. Make the important things priority. It's never to late to change the way you do things. I am always thinking back to when I was the age of my kids to remember and to relate and do things the way they were done when the world made sense. Recently someone said to me after I shared our TV policy "Wow, your a parent of the 80's" Well, I guess I am.... I'll take that as a compliment.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you completely. The world is just not what it used to be. And that's a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were of lot of kids in the 80's that had the latest and greatest. We just chose to DO things with the kids rather than give them everything they wanted or thought necessary. It was tough to say 'no' when we could physically afford the said item. But, our belief was that a little deprivation builds character, not to mention imagination. You kids were seldom bored!

    ReplyDelete