Friday, September 23, 2011

Thanks Matthew

I have just come back from my 3rd funeral in 3 months. That's a whole lot of perspective in a short period of time. From each funeral there was a theme. Intentional of not, a theme emerged.I shared with you in a previous post about the first.

This most recent passing was a very dear friends' brother. Matthew was the youngest of 5 children and the only boy. He was killed by an erratic driver in the Crowsnest Pass last Saturday. He was 27.

Matthew's life was not easy by any means. He suffered with chronic pain and migraines from a previous car accident. In spite of that he lived his life in a way as to have no regrets. He loved the people around him whole heartedly. He forgave immediately. Everyone in his life didn't have to guess his feelings because he told them all. Even his young nephews spoke at his funeral because in their words "Uncle Matthew would want me to tell people how I feel." His young nephews told me "We know that uncle Matthew loved us more than anything" WOW. It is unfortunate that it usually takes a tragic event for people to have their "wake up call".

I have been called many things in my life... including lame and cheesy because I have affirmed and told people how I feel about them. I also have lived my life making friends and family my top priority before work, volunteering or any thing else. The bottom line is that I would rather you know how I feel about you now while you are alive then say nice things as you lay in a casket. If that makes me cheesy then so be it.

So to Matthew's family, thanks for raising a son that was such an example to so many. As spoken at the service, his legacy will go on with each person that knew him that outwardly show more love and feeling to those in their lives.

A life taken too soon. Rest in Peace Matthew!

No comments:

Post a Comment