Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Elections Around Alberta

Things are really heating up on the election front...and not just in Red Deer. Last night I was the moderator for the Election Forum in Penhold. (Footage from the event can be found at www.rdtv.ca and on You tube. Search Pehold Forum )

For those of you readers NOT from central Alberta, Penhold is 14 km south west of Red Deer. As I look at the issues facing Penhold I draw a comparison with some if the same issues that voters in Wood Buffalo are facing. Both have recently finished major building projects. Penhold got a new multiplex and Fort McMurray a new recreation facility (MacDonald Island Park). Both facilities are huge assets to their communities and both brought some debt with with them.


I love politics. I love seeing passionate people wanting to make a difference in their communities. I believe that regardless of platform, candidates want to make things better for themselves and others. This round of elections are bitter sweet for me. Several years ago I had made the decision to run in Wood Buffalo in this election. We had planned on staying in Wood Buffalo for 5 more years.
Plans changed and we relocated to Red Deer. Although I am not running in this election, I still keep tabs on what is going on back home (Fort McMurray) and am excited to see the new faces vying for a place on council. I am still a big supporter of current mayor Melissa Blake (my kids and I helped with her last campaign) and am excited to see if my dear friend Russell Thomas is going to be elected..


Back in Red Deer things are getting interesting. There are 18 candidates running for 8 spots on council. Personally I think a big shake up is needed. Red Deer is at a critical point in it's growth and if not managed properly could be disastrous for our well being in the long term. Sure there are a couple of existing councillors that I am voting for, the ones that are forward thinking visionaries, but I am also voting for quite a few newbies too. Being new isn't bad. Being new means you have great ideas, energy, new ways of doing things and an untainted perspective on how things can and should be done. Good Luck with your campaigns!


I would like to dedicate this blog entry to a couple of different groups. First to all the new candidates that have put their names forward both in Central Alberta and Wood Buffalo and the second to two of my faithful readers.... My father in law Harry Anthony and friend Marlene Lane. Both residents of Fort McMurray.

Now get out there and VOTE!!!

1 comment:

  1. The race in the Crowsnest is also very interesting... 18 people vieing for 6 spots on Council, and 3 running for mayor. Can anyone say 'people ant change'?
    Watched the youtube link... good job, Beth!

    ReplyDelete